Saturday, July 19, 2014

Scrap wood over the range lighted shelf




I have been working on this little sweetie for two weeks!  Our over the range microwave bit the dust, again.  That was the second one to go in the past four years.  Obviously, this house is not meant to have an over the range microwave.  Either that or I am too cheap to hire another electrician to check the wiring again.

Once we removed the old microwave, I had one ugly looking area to start with.  It had potential even though I wasn't completely certain what to do with this new space.
When in doubt, build a box.  Below is a view of the scrap plywood used for the box.  It had some delightful warps but was otherwise quite sturdy.  I know because I had to stand on the silly thing to glue and screw it together.  Talk about a workout!  

The bare wood look was not for me, nor did I feel that a stain would blend well with the existing kitchen.  That left me with painting it to match the rest of the cabinets.  With free paint from the landfill, of course.  Notice how the paint really highlights the gap on the upper left side.  Ah, the joys of working with wood.  :)

I used some scrap lattice pieces to trim the edges.  


I decided to jazz up the interior with a broken glass mosaic, added a shelf and two LED light strips.  Total cost for this project = $25 for the lights.  I am one happy lady woodworker!! 

No comments: