Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Glass mosaic aka accidental art - the final step

The final step, so to speak.  Yesterday, I completed a rounded step that had been an eyesore to me for quite some time. Today, I finished the grout and clean up for this step leading from the entryway to the "sunken" great room.  9 and 1/2 feet to be precise.  There is one more step to be dealt with but thankfully it was tiled nicely by the previous homeowners.  It can wait until my knees and back recover from these two steps. Although I am not thrilled with the amount of time it took to complete the project, I am happy with the outcome.  Not only does the mosaic cover the previously ugly steps, it also highlights the fact that there is a step present.  The glass and broken bits of mirror sparkle ever so sweetly to highlight the difference in floor levels.  

The broken glass and mirror pieces were either gifts from my mom or things I had broken.  And yes, my mother is just the type of person to keep broken bits of jadeite glass around.  And I am a hazard who has been known to break a dish as I place it in the dishwasher.  Finally, the concrete and grout were picked up at the local landfill.  When all is said and done this is another freebie project - completed!




No comments: