Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Breakfast bar makeover




We have the strangest sized breakfast bar area I have ever seen.  It is tiny, shoved into a corner and is lacking any type of ventilation.  Needless to say, when I prepare a meal in the oven, this little area gets hot. The previous homeowners decided to convert the dining area into a small bedroom and left this tiny nook as a replacement.  As a dining location, it is absolutely useless for my family.  There may only be three of us at the table most meals, but this area simply was not large enough to accommodate us.  It was time for a change.


I could have purchased lumber and built some shelving but decided to go the quick and easy way; I bought inexpensive pine shelving racks from Kmart.  They were a snap to assemble and completely finished.  No sanding, staining, painting or measuring required.  


The base unit was quick and easy.  The counter top - not so much!  I checked into Formica counter tops at the big box stores but did not care for either the colors or prices available.  It was time to get into the workshop and create a counter top of my own design.  Considering the space was small, I thought the counter would be quick and easy to assemble.  I was sadly mistaken.

I combined 1x2's and 2x3's to make the top and apparently assembled the corner incorrectly.  I know this was the wrong way to go about a corner piece because I had to keep taking things apart and reassembling. This part of the project was one BIG lesson in patience!  Never having done this before, I quickly learned how tricky corners can be.  I cut the wood with 45 degree angles, glued the pieces together and then matched the corners.  What I should have done was glue the pieces together and then cut the angles prior to assembly.  Oh well, live and learn.

Ultimately, the project was completed, albeit imperfectly.  But that is okay with me.  I learned a lot while recreating this space and now have a handy place for dishes, flatware, glasses and small appliances.  All of which was taking up too much space in my small kitchen.

No comments: