Saturday, January 10, 2015

Handmade gift for woodworkers or crafters



My Dad is a lifelong woodworker.  I, however, am new to the game and view things a little differently.  Call me a neat nick or organizational nut, but I like keeping similar items together.  It just makes crafting and building so much easier (for me) when I know exactly where to find what I need.  I also prefer having the ability to easily assemble whatever I may be working on.  That must be the Mom in me.  Although my boy is now a teenager, there have been so many times when I had to stop mid project to attend to something happening in the house, I have become a bit of a nut with organizing my "stuff".

This little project is a result of my nuttiness.  I have glued together so many woodworking projects this past year, I became frustrated by always having to track down my glue, brush and rinse water jar. Those little devils just blend in to the workshop; they essentially disappear.   This irritates me.  So much so that I made a little glue workstation . . . and promptly gave it to my Dad for Christmas.

It's not fancy but I think it turned out rather well.  With four small pieces of scrap wood, a couple of hole saws, a brad air nailer and, of course, glue,  everything has a place.  I painted it red to make it easily visible in the workshop and added in a few leftover fruit cup bowls for those projects needing glue brushed on rather than squirted directly from the bottle.  I even added in an old plastic peanut butter jar (with a lid) and decorated it with striped duct tape.  This way, the rinse water can be covered when not in use to help prevent any spills.  I am notorious for knocking things over.   The duct tape also provides a little grip, so to speak, on a slippery plastic jar.  Well that and I think it is pretty.  Functional and cute, who doesn't love that?



No comments: