Friday, August 1, 2014

Scrap lumber stemware rack



This one has been on my wish list for quite some time!  I have wanted to add a little pizazz to my bland white and beige kitchen as well as find a convenient spot for my stemware.  Lo and behold, I could not find a stemware rack I liked, so I made one of my own.  

I began with some scrap lumber my man picked up at work, measured the underside of the cabinet, and went to town with the saw.  


Once the pieces were cut to length, I cut the end of each support piece with a 50 degree angle. The next step was to use the router to make slots for the base of the glasses to hang upside down.  After a little mishap with the router, namely letting my thumb get too close the the spinning bit, I drilled two pilot holes in each bracket with my handy dandy counter sink bit.  The final step, and most time consuming, was to spend my afternoon laying on the counter while I measured each type of glass base.  


Wouldn't you know, my eclectic assortment of stemware includes multiple diameters.

There are still a few little tweaks left to correct. One bracket is off by the tinniest bit so the glasses can only come out on one side.  After that,  I need to decide whether to paint, stain or simply seal the brackets.  Then again, I could just leave them as they are and move on to my next project. Time will tell.


No comments: