Tuesday, August 19, 2014

More scrap wood art/wall hangings

Finished Project measures 31 1/4" x 43"
As I have stated previously, I love rescuing goodies from the trash.  Several months ago, I found this large plastic frame buried in a pile.  The corners had come apart and it had a few dings but was otherwise perfectly functional albeit with some work.

Mock brickwork paneling
I also had some fake brickwork paneling pieces left over from a Craigslist find.  I did not care for the look of the fake bricks and had been wondering how I would put this piece to use.  It too, has been sitting in my garage waiting for inspiration.

Painted brickwork paneling
And of course, I have scrap wood pieces.  Everywhere!
Leftover plywood pieces

Once I decided to mix these elements together, I realized the frame would need to be cut to remove some damage from the corners.  I learned that plastic stinks when you cut it with a saw.  It is also difficult to align the angles.  Obviously, I need help to learn how to cut mitered corners.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Corner gaps after cutting off damaged pieces


Since the corners did not align correctly, I had to cover the gaps with putty and paint.  And, thanks to my boy's suggestion, I decided to paint the scrap plywood pieces black to match the frame.  Once all was dry, I glued the "burst" to the center of the brickwork using wood glue.  The final step was to add a little black glitter glue to the corners and burst pieces.  After all, a girl likes her sparkles.

No comments: